- 1 in 30 or more people born from 1945 – 1965 has hepatitis C.
- More Americans die from hepatitis C than from HIV.
- Nearly three million Americans are infected with hepatitis C; some experts estimate the number to be closer to 5 million.
- As many ass three out of four people who have hepatitis C do not know they have it.
- Hepatitis C infects the liver, a non-complaining organ that may not show symptoms of liver disease until advanced stages.
- Experts estimate that hepatitis C will cause 1 million cases of cirrhosis by 2020.
- Liver cancer is increasing due to hepatitis C.
- More livers are transplanted because of hepatitis C than for any other reason.
- The number of people on the liver waiting list is far greater than the number of donated livers.
If you are a baby boomer,
talk to your doctor about testing for hepatitis C.
Get the facts and don’t be afraid.
There is help – you are not alone.